I have been crazy about making these Art Nouveau Headresses lately! They very much remind me of the art work of Alphonse Mucha. There is something so alluring about the contrast of a small delicate circlet linking large clusters of flowers. These hair accessories are easy to make, and I love the challenge of finding the perfect mix of flower colors and gems. Below you can read my step by step process of making your own Art Nouveau hair accessories.
You will need these items to make the headdress:
- Craft Foam
- Hot Glue Sticks
- Hot Glue Gun
- E6000 Glue
- Small Flat-back Crystals
- 1 Large Flat-Back Gem
- 1 Large Filigree
- 1 Small Filigree
- Jump Rings
- Faux Flowers & Leaves
- 2 Hair Clips
- Thin Elastic
- Glue flatback gems to large filigree with E6000 glue.
- Cut leaves from the small filigree and place them over the corners of the large flatback gem using E6000 glue.
- Attach jump rings to corners of the large filigree and attach the chain that will wrap around your head. Make sure that you leave a three inch gap at the back of the head.
- Using a jump ring at the ends of both chains, make 2 small loops, sewing the elastic to the chains to bridge the ends together. This will allow the circlet to fit snug against your forehead.
- Cut each steam leaving a 2-3 inch length.
- Using the craft foam, cut out two squares to create a base.
- Bend the flower stems in the desired angle, then hot glue them to the foam base.
- Cut any access foam that your stems are not glued to.
- Cover any showing foam with leaves.
- Cut a square of felt the same size as the craft foam and hot glue to the back of the foam base.
- Place the hair clip at the top of the square and secure it with a flap of felt over the inside of the clip.
- Decorate the flowers with whatever gems you’d like!